Friday, November 4, 2011

Sonic Generations. What I liked, what I want and what I would have done

Well the new Sonic game has come out and if you have read my review go do that now! It's on my blog here so go read it and come back. Ok, Sonic Generations has a lot going for it. I'm going to talk about the stuff I liked and also go into stuff I'd like to see added to the game and maybe criticise Crisis City more.

Sonic Generations has got some really good things done in the game. While in my review I ragged on the challenges being tedious but there are some good challenges. I personally liked the doppelganger, race to the finish and goal juggling challenges and I'm sure some of you will enjoy other challenges but being forced to complete 1 just to advance IS tedious! Unlocking them they way we unlock them is fine though. Challenges shouldn't get in the way of the main game but are great for when you finish the game.

I personally liked the rival and boss battles in the game but as I said in the review there aren't many. I honestly think that every friend of Sonic should have been a rival battle or have had a different battle for both Sonics. I would have loved to have had a modern Sonic battle with Metal Sonic or a classic Sonic fight with Shadow. I'd also would have loved each stage to have a boss battle from that stage from the classic stages and just a battle from the games in the other stages. As for the main boss fights it would have been nice to either have a new boss to fight like say a Time Eater spawn or stages of the Time Eater.

The level design in the game is really well done... except Crisis City! Hated that stage the first time and even classic Sonic couldn't make it fun! Anyway I enjoyed the redesigned stages and got a little angry admittedly when I played City Escape and everything was different... especially that crappy remix of the song. I commend Sonic Team for doing such a good job on the level designs and really hope they make more stages in DLC. I actually have a list of stages I'd like remade as DLC,

Scrap Brain Zone (Sonic The Hedgehog 1991)
Mystic Cave Zone (Sonic The Hedgehog 2)
Icecap Zone (Sonic The Hedgehog 3)
Flying Battery Zone (Sonic and Knuckles)
Lost World (Sonic Adventures)
Final Chase (Sonic Adventure 2)
Rail Canyon (Sonic Heroes)
Kingdom Valley (Sonic The Hedgehog 2006)
I'd also like a level editor too for $10

Another thing that was a missed opportunity was 2 player mode both online and offline. Seriously how did this not get thought about? Play through the stages with Shadow and Sonic in the 3D stages and Sonic and Metal Sonic for 2D stages. I enjoyed the 2 player mode in Sonic Adventures 2 and am surprised a 2 player mode was ignored for this.

Sonic Generations is a great game for Sonic fans and I think almost everything I mention could be added as DLC so lets hope SEGA decides to take my advice and maybe they can make a great game better.

No comments:

Post a Comment