Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Let's Talk Anime : All things Death Note

Ok before I start on the "Let's Talk Anime" post, I'd like to say that the reason I didn't do a "Retro Review" on Monday was because of 3 reasons. 1. I was busy playing Eternal Sonata. 2. I couldn't think of a game to do a "Retro Review" on and I didn't feel like sifting through my game collection. 3. It was Anzac Day and it's one of the few public holidays that has a real reason for existing and I was distracted by all the Anzac news reports. Anyway back to the topic at hand.

This week I thought I'd jump back into the popular waters and fish up an anime people adore and this on came up to the boat. Ok I admit I'm using stupids descriptive words for choosing Death Note but I felt creative... kinda. Anyway Death Note is my choice and I'm sure most people have already watched it, and if they haven't they should watch this after reading the mangas.

Death Note's description on the back of the mangas is,
Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects-and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But will Light's noble goal succeed, or will the Death Note turn him into the very thing he fights against?

The series of mangas and the anime are essentially in 2 parts The first part is Light's battle against the world best detective L which is considered the best part of the series. The first part of the series introduces the main characters and has some of the best mind battles ever made. The second part of the series is Light Vs L's successors Near and Mello. In my opinion the whole series is good from start to finish but a lot of people say that the second part is weaker but those people are L fanboys. The series is a good murder mystery with a supernatural influence that culminates into a great series. Now there are a few extra thing in the Death Note series which are pretty much fanboy only things. The live action movies "Death Note" and "Death Note the last name" were a more focused version of the mangas without the Near and Mello chapters put into it with L eventually capturing Light. This movies are great but definitely made for L fanboys. More proof of this is in the 3rd live action movie "L change the world". Which focuses on the events after L captures Light and has him help a child would becomes Near and is the key to stopping virus from destroying life. "L change the world" was also made into a book and there is another book called "Death Note another note" which I honestly haven't read or own, but I will end up getting them. The main reason I don't have them is because of the fact that they are not really part of the main series and I spend my money on games more then books. Finally there's the Relight OVA series which is an abridged (not a parody abridged series) version of the series through a different perspective. Yes the are worth having even if you own the series because it helps get a little more in depth with the series while recapping what you've already experienced. It's a great series and everything related to it is great so you can't go wrong.

Death Note is AWESOME! Everyone should watch it if they are over the age of 15 and this is more enjoyable if your in your 20s and like crime dramas because this series is a crime drama that is well written and the mangas are better. Seriously the mangas are better then the series and is longer then the anime in terms of events. I suggest getting both and if you want you can get the novels and live action movies but there not crucial to the story in anyway. It's a series of older teens and up so it's better suited for people 18 and up but some younger people 15 to 17 years may like it but it's not very likely. It's a must own series regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment