Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: More questions than answers

Ok... kinda annoyed with how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D likes to keep throwing out all of these mysteries and not answer the questions they raise. Now admittedly this is the first season and it does have to keep up with the movies but come on!

If you're keeping up with the Marvel Movieverse(that's all the Marvel movies not released through Sony or Fox so not X-Men or Spider-man) Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is essentially a show to tie events together between movies and set up future plots. In theory it's a brilliant idea, but in execution it's kinda between a rock and a hard place... that hard place being normal TV audiences and comic book fans.

Now when making a show for TV that's for comic book fans is one thing. Comic book fans love complex story lines and mysteries. As a comic book fan I live for them and most fans do, but with a TV show that only has 24 episodes a year... you can't really afford to have too many mysteries because by the time it returns to TV most fans would have forgotten. In comics this isn't as much of a problem since comics come out monthly(sometimes fortnightly) and we can easily refer to our collection to refresh ourselves but with TV... not quite as easy.

As for regular TV viewers...they probably aren't watching it anymore anyway. Trying to make a TV show more targeted at comic book fans appeal to the normal TV viewing public isn't easy. Now with a comic book writer like Joss Whedon on the show(among others as producers) you'd think his skill with his TV shows like Buffy and Firefly would give him a best of two worlds advantage... but you can tell watching it that it's a niche show more targeted at the Marvel Movieverse fans. Pretty much all attempts to make it mainstream have failed.

As for all the questions with no answers... it's the movies fault I suppose. In the last few episodes we had Hydra return(see Captain America: The First Avenger for who Hydra are) and the unknown status of allegiance throughout S.H.I.E.L.D, an alien in a tube in a hidden base(Guardians of the Galaxy will probably cover that... or at least the origin of the alien), who's responsible for Deathlok and what T.A.H.I.T.I may have done to Agent Coulson along with Nick Fury's involvement with it. I look forward to seeing how these play out but I can see lots of people either turning away from the show if the trend keeps up.

I personally enjoy Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D but I think it's time for answers to the questions being raised before the end of the season. Also I don't see this series succeeding on DVD/Blu Ray/Rip Off Digital. Well... only time will tell. Thanks for indulging in my attempt at something different. Tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment